I have to admit, I’m frustrated. Sales on the book continue to drop and there doesn’t seem to be much I can do to stop it. I’ve tried everything I can.
I got a big-name voice actor to do my trailer.
I switched the book to color.
Nothing seems to be working.
It’s a critically acclaimed series, with an average of 8.9 out of 10 over 59 reviews. It’s good. I say that without a hint of arrogance. It really is a good series.
So the conclusion I’m coming to is that people really don’t want female-led books. Unless it’s Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman or Batgirl.
They really don’t want characters of color, racial diversity, or LGBT representation.
What I’m learning is that I should be drawing and writing books about dudes and the oversexed badgirls they fool around with. I can’t make a living doing what I’m doing, so why not sell out, right? That’s where the money is.
Except I really DON’T believe that. I BELIEVE in what I’m doing. I believe that there’s an audience for it.
It’s time for that audience to step up.
CALL or GO INTO your local comic shop and order the trade. The order number is APR140534. Don’t get it at Amazon, tell your comic book store there are readers. Monthlies aren’t sold on Amazon, and monthlies are how I make a living.
CALL or GO INTO your local comic shop and order the first two issues of the next volume. The order numbers are JUL140458, and AUG140691.
If you really want to see more diversity in comics, it starts with supporting the books that are already trying to make a difference. I’m not the only one. RACHEL RISING, GENIUS, CONCRETE PARK and many other great books about strong women and people of color are out there and they need your support.
Without it, we’ll have to close up shop.
- geekgirlsrun reblogged this from kellysue
- jaegerette likes this
- kajikillian reblogged this from larime
- whoknew-svunit reblogged this from larime and added:
- asexual-stranger reblogged this from damegreywulf
- damegreywulf reblogged this from thebicker
- loudlysilent likes this
- cuculine likes this
- monekaka reblogged this from larime
- lazykcdoodler reblogged this from leradny
- lazykcdoodler likes this
- korrawr likes this
- leradny reblogged this from leradny
- kajikillian likes this
- coasterchild reblogged this from larime
- garrickgirl likes this
- sweetsweetsorrow likes this
- tartymae reblogged this from larime
- racingbackwards likes this
- cthulhu-hungers likes this
- stillstealing likes this
- checkerdox likes this
- blu-girl reblogged this from ruckawriter
- blu-girl likes this
- knitwing likes this
- sappo7 likes this
- sappo7 reblogged this from sunnybunnyshuffle
- baronuberstein likes this
- melusina-magicka likes this
- sunnybunnyshuffle reblogged this from noahpoststhings
- noahpoststhings likes this
- noahpoststhings reblogged this from notcuddles
- strawbeary-boy reblogged this from notcuddles
- kathartic-anarchy reblogged this from notcuddles
- ostidgrospipes reblogged this from notcuddles
- notcuddles reblogged this from larime
- monsterkissed reblogged this from softurl
- becauseforoncethisisme likes this
- softurl reblogged this from fivelettered
- mattkrotzer reblogged this from raistlyne and added:
- changingshades reblogged this from raistlyne
- raistlyne reblogged this from larime and added:
- telosam reblogged this from christopherjonesart and added:
- telosam likes this
- knowlizzycurran likes this
- saotome-michi likes this
- evebelieves likes this
- fivelettered reblogged this from nickimijolnir
- nickimijolnir reblogged this from dangercupcakemurdericing
- oculoslux reblogged this from comixology